Welcome! The intent of our Drivers Education program is to provide an affordable, quality driver training program for the youth of St. Johns County.
St. Johns County Tax Collector Dennis W. Hollingsworth, CFC, thanks Superintendent of Schools Dr. Joseph Joyner and members of the St. Johns County School Board for entrusting our agency with this very important program.
Classes will be held at all St. Johns County public high schools during the 2013/2014 school year. The program has been divided into two parts:
- Phase I is a free 12-hour course that prepares students for their Learner Permit exam and includes information about the safe operation of a motor vehicle. Phase I class schedule
- Phase II is a 28-hour course designed to improve students’ driving skills and confidence with behind-the-wheel practical experience. Phase II class schedule
- All classes are for enrolled students
Students wishing to attend must be at least 14½ years old at the beginning of the class. Prospective students will be required to submit the following information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Full Name
- Complete Address (Including Zip Code)
- Date of Birth
- Phone Number (Including Area Code)
- Name of High School You Attend
- Requested Class Date (First Choice and Second Choice). See Phase I class schedule.
A confirmation email will be sent to all registrants unless the class is full. If the class you have chosen is no longer available, we will notify you, so that you will have the opportunity to sign up for another date.
Enrollment & Schedule
- Classes will be from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. on each of the scheduled dates.
- Maximum of 35 students per class. Enrollment is on a first come, first served basis.
For questions or technical assistance, please contact Ricky McIntyre at (904) 209-2298 or email@example.com.
Our 28-hour program begins with a 4-hour classroom lecture that focuses on the concepts of being a Defensive Driver, laws that relate to the operation of a motor vehicle, as well as course safety procedures. The “Behind the Wheel” portion of the training starts with 4 hours at an off-road site working on braking, backing, parking and lateral control movements. Once it has been determined that each student can safely control a motor vehicle, we introduce the student to Driving in Traffic situations. Twenty additional hours will be spent with students driving on County roadways with a Certified Instructor.
Important Message for Parent or Guardian
The training course involves vehicles being operated at highway speeds by inexperienced drivers. Although there will be a Certified Instructor in the vehicle with your child at all times, certain risk will be present. Our program will expose each student to all major roadways in St. Johns County up to and including I-95.
Minimum Student Requirements:
- All students must possess a learner permit for a minimum of 3 months
- All students must have a minimum of 20 hours of behind-the-wheel driving before the course begins
- All students must live within the boundaries of St. Johns County
- All students must complete a registration form.
- Payment must be received prior to placement on course roster
- All students must show proof of insurance
- All students shall be free of any physical limitations which would preclude them from operating a motor vehicle in a safe manner
Fees, Schedule & Application:
- Course Fee: $200.00
- Scholarships are available for students who qualify for the free or reduced lunch program
- Discounts offered for students who complete the “Learner Permit Program” offered by the St. Johns County Tax Collector
- Phase II class schedule
- Download registration form
Students are required to attend the entire training in order to receive a certificate. If a student misses a portion of the class, it may take a few months to make up the time due to a full schedule. Please be sure you can attend the entire 28 hours of instruction before registering as refunds will not be issued after the class starts.
For more information, please contact Ricky McIntyre at (904) 209-2298 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Delivering Tax Collector Services that Exceed Customer Expectations
through Innovation, Integrity and Expertise.