This program is funded in part
by a grant from State Farm.
Our Mission: To provide an affordable, quality driver training program for the youth of St. Johns County.
2018-2019 School Year Driver Education Classes
Classes will be offered at all St. Johns County public high schools during the 2018-2019 academic year.
All classes are available only to enrolled high school students who reside in St. Johns County. Home school and private school students must attend at the public high school for which they are zoned.
Phase I: Learner Permit Preparation
Classroom lecture about the safe operation of a motor vehicle on the roadways including road rules and road signs. The Learner’s Permit knowledge exam is administered on the last day.
- Cost: FREE
- Registration & Schedule
- Students must complete a 4-hour online Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course (TLSAE) prior to obtaining a Learner’s Permit. This course can be completed before or after the Phase I class. https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/education-courses/driver-improvement-schools/traffic-law-substance-abuse-education-tlsae-find-approved-listing-tlsae-course-providers/
Phase II: Behind the Wheel
A 27-hour driving course designed to improve students’ driving skills and confidence with practical experience. The class begins with a classroom lecture that focuses on the concepts of being a defensive driver, laws that relate to the operation of a motor vehicle, as well as course safety procedures. The 25-hour “Behind the Wheel” portion of the training starts on an off-road site working on braking, backing, stopping, parking, off road recovery and lateral control movements. Once it has been determined that each student can safely control a motor vehicle, we introduce the student to driving in traffic situations as they drive on roadways within St. Johns County with a state certified driving instructor.
- Cost: $300 – A 10% discount is offered to students who successfully completed the Phase I class (completion certificate required) or are enrolled in the free or reduced lunch program at their respective high school.
- Registration & Schedule
- Student must have 20 hours of driving experience prior to registering for a Phase II class.
- Student must attend all days of the session in order to receive a certificate of completion
- No make-up days offered so please coordinate your schedule with after school or summer activities before you sign up.
Delivering Tax Collector Services that Exceed Customer Expectations
through Innovation, Integrity and Expertise.