Since 2000, an average of approximately 1,900 children ages 14 and under are killed as occupants in motor vehicles and more than 227,000 are injured. Unfortunately, this is most often attributed to the improper, or lack of, child restraint use. About half of all children under the age of five, who die in crashes, are not buckled up.
It is the mission of the St. Johns County Tax Collector’s Office through Project Buckle Up to educate and assist the citizens of St. Johns County in learning the proper installation and use of child passenger safety restraints and promote vehicle passenger safety.
How We Can Help
Project Buckle Up will show you how to properly install your child safety seat at no cost to you. Call (904) 209-2250 x4636 to make an appointment with a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. For qualifying St. Johns County residents, child safety seats are available at a discounted rate. (See Installations and Inspections section for more information).
- Buckle up everyone in your vehicle.
- Read the child safety seat instructions and your vehicle owner’s manual.
- Make sure the car seat meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 213.
- Make sure the child safety restraint fits properly in your vehicle.
- Register the child safety seat so that the manufacturer can contact you should the seat be recalled.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact the St. Johns County Tax Collector’s Office (904) 209-2250 x4636.
* Photo courtesy of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Child Safety Campaign