The St. Johns County Tax Collector’s web site covers many condensed and paraphrased points of the Florida state law and provides safety advice not covered in the laws. This web site is not a legal authority and should not be used in a court of law.
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles consists of the following Divisions:
- The Division of Driver Licenses administers examinations to qualify persons to drive on Florida's highways. Its primary mission is to promote and maintain the highest possible driving standards on the streets and highways in the state of Florida and to remove unsafe drivers from the highways.
- The Division of Florida Highway Patrol enforces all state laws pertaining to motor vehicles, patrols the state highway system to help insure the safety of all drivers and implements the state traffic safety program. Each trooper is always ready and willing to render assistance to the motoring public.
- The Division of Motor Vehicles regulates the sale and distribution of all motor vehicles and vessels in Florida. The Division administers the sale of license plates through county tax collectors and authorized tag agents for every automobile, vessel, trailer, truck, mobile home, camper and motorcycle that operates on the public roads. In addition, the division keeps records on every motor vehicle that is titled or registered in Florida and enforces mobile home construction standards.
- The Division of Administrative Services manages the functions of payroll, personnel, purchasing, accounting and fiscal operations and maintenance and repair of equipment for the agency's operating divisions.
- The Information Systems Administration manages data processing for the agencies operating divisions.
REMEMBER THAT DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE AND NOT A RIGHT.
Protect Yourself and Others by Knowing the Laws and Driving Safely.